Monday, August 10, 2009

Berry Picking!

We picked 16 pounds of blueberries yesterday at our friend Holly's house! We probably ate at least 3 pounds while we were picking. Leo asked me "Is Blueberries For Sal a true story??" I say most definitely.
Next it's blackberries for jam. Anyone have any tips on hotspots? We used to get a ton at the beach house but not so much anymore. City picking can actually be pretty good sometimes too, but the city suddenly decided to maintain the alley that was the most prime of picking spots near our house. After blackberries there will be pickling, and then I would really like to do applesauce this year. We walked past the forbidden tree that grows the most delicious apples in the city and it is loaded this year. I say forbidden because it grows on the parking strip of freaky 50 year old twins who look like frumpy Bon Marche mannequins from the 1980's, they must have been big Dorothy Hammel fans when they were younger. They let me have it a few years back when I was pregnant with Finn and strolling with Leo. We picked 1 apple and they came out on broomsticks to chase us away. The memory of that tasty apple will probably require a night time stealth mission to see if it was really that good.

2 comments:

corylk said...

my parents cabin down by the shelter usually has a ton of blackberries. park at my parents and no one should bug you! happy picking.

Anonymous said...

Come over to our house! We have more than I can even deal with. I went out yesterday and picked two quarts in about 20 minutes. Then made blackberry cobbler which stained our teeth purple. But it was worth it!