Monday, January 19, 2009

On the Eve of Inauguration, drumroll... Kevin!

After enduring almost four years of relentless teasing over his Max Fischer-like extra-curricular activities at Stadium High, Kevin has earned the golden ticket for all of his hard work and willingness to lend a hand.  He is in DC at this very moment and in a few more hours he will be right there at the inauguration of President-elect Obama!!!  He got the invitation back in November for being an outstanding student and young leader.  Soooo Lucky!!! 
 
Finn is fascinated by him, Leo is a little uncertain, and I have yet to figure him out.  He imitates my opinionated old dad far too often.  My mom lets him eat canned clam chowder and super-chocolatey milk for dinner.  My older brother attempts to infuriate him at every opportunity.  He's the unit commander of National Junior ROTC at school.  He has more medals and stuff dangling off of his uniform than a war veteran.  He swims butterfly and medley relay on the swim team.  He goes to church, sometimes.  He enjoys beer and Bailey's but does not get in trouble when we discover his flask.  He loses 3 ipods, 2 cell phones, a sweet bike, cameras,  and multiple pair of glasses that someone will always replace them for him.  He finally makes out with his girlfriends.  He talks about sex in front of my 94 year old Grandma.  He quit studying German and opted for Spanish.  He plays in the pep band at football and basketball games.  He is on facebook, myspace, and his cell phone a lot. He mastered text messaging way before the rest of us.  He started a Japanese style drum club.  He also hangs out with my dad's band on music nights AND plays in the Key Peninsula community marching band.  He's been to Europe without my parents.  He shoots rifles or artillery competitively at 5:30am.  For the first three years he always did concessions at dances.  I am sure there is more that I am forgetting.  Oh wait, he refuses to fill out any college applications and has considered spending a year working at Home Depot or something.  
But he is also the only one in Tacoma that I can rope into hard gardening labor at the drop of a hat.  He will shovel dirt, help build patios, and do dump runs when everyone else is busy.  He will hang out at my house with sleeping babies while I am at Jon and Heathers til 4 am.  Even when Leo comes downstairs and screams at him to go away and I dont hear my cell phone ringing.  He delivers wine for me so that I can stay home with the boys and play.  He lets me take him school shopping.  He let me take his senior pictures.  It seems like he just arrived but now he is soon to be graduating highschool.  He's Kevin.





3 comments:

The Mancino Chronicles said...

great entry Em. love it.

One Love Photo said...

Oh you got me teary! I just love it, it is so him. The strip shirt on the bench is the best. That could be his record album. We should all be so lucky to have a tribute written by you. If I go first, will you write my obit (or at least help Jon)?

Anonymous said...

He's definitely his own man. Awesome. I've never gotten to know him, but I feel like I know him a little better now. Sorry for your loss of Lady dog. That blows.