Monday, January 19, 2009

LadyDog






LadyDog died just before Christmas and it wouldn't be right to let the new year continue without a little photo tribute.  We have a million photos of her.  I think Ben and Cory share the common joy of taking ALOT of pictures of their dogs.  Lots of ours were on film, and I can remember coming home from Speedy 1 Hour Photo a little upset a few times after paying 15 dollars for 15 pictures of Lady laying on the rug.  After Finn was born Lady went to heaven on earth at Dan and Lydia's where she experienced homemade food at regular mealtimes, daily walks, grooming, and tons of attention.  They loved her so much that often times a weekly phone call from Spokane would include a full report on her activities, health status, and whether or not she had had diarreah that week.  The epitomy of Lucky Dog.  I remember before Finn was born I was talking to an acquaintance and she mentioned that her brother and his girlfriend were having a baby within a day or so of me.  "oh you must be so excited!" I said.  She kind of wrinkled her nose and proceeded to tell me how it was bittersweet because the girlfriend was kind of wierd, among other complaints she was forcing the brother to give up his dog Bob who had lived with him for like 10 years.  "OhhhNoooo!" I said, feigning sympathy and disgust, knowing that I made a similar deal at home.  But she really did love Spokane, and we missed her quite a bit too.  Lady visited whenever Lydia came to town and we had a big last hurrah with her over Labor Day.  Lydia was convinced she was dying that weekend when Lady shrugged off her dinner upon arriving in Tacoma.  But we took her with us to the beach house anyway and she made a miraculous recovery truly acting like a big puppy.  She played on the beach with us and even tricked me into giving her a second dinner while Ben was giving the boys a bath.  She had mastered the saddest dog eyes you have ever seen.  I remember the first time that I met her, I said "Poor Lady!".  Ben laughed and assured me she was happy.  I continued to feel sorry for her until one morning when I had taken her on an EARLY morning car ride to the grocery.  We had just gotten back to the house and I was holding a maple bar and trying to unbuckle my seatbelt.  In a second she had snatched my maple bar and wolfed it down.  I was a little pissed that day but enjoyed witnessing her play the same trick on many an unsuspecting visitor and many many small children.   
She knew a lot of words and had even more of her own.  She could hear Ben's Scout coming home minutes before he actually arrived.  She also loved a spontaneous joy swim.  She was sweet with the babies and even sweeter with the men in her life.  We will miss her.  

2 comments:

One Love Photo said...

Oh man, you got me again. What a sweet girl she was. I loved how much a fresh trip to the doggie salon would transform her. She would look like a little puppy again with her short coat. It always amazed me.
REST IN PEACE LADY!

kate said...

I loved how lady talked to me whenever i came over. She commanded a lot of attention, because she just had so very much to say. She even lives on in some of my very own photos. Good-bye little lady girl.